"Were I called on to define, very briefly, the term Art, I should call it the reproduction of what the Senses perceive in Nature through the veil of the soul." - Edgar Allan Poe

Sunday, July 2, 2017

"Art is not what you see, but what you make others see."   Edgar Degas


It’s been a tough time for painting these last couple of months what with traveling and getting the 24 paintings for my Plymouth show ready. However, I recently pulled out these two finished pieces to mat and frame but a second look is always a good thing since I realized they both needed some small additions to make them feel right.  I added the sailboat into “Garden View” and it gives a good balance with the tree and repeats the vertical of both the tree and the flowers.  I think it made a big difference.

“By the Sea” also felt unbalanced to me and I realized that all the weight of the painting was on the right side.  So I simply put in the strip of blue sea on the left and now you can not only see the view from the cottage perspective, but with the added small sailboat we get another smaller focus and a better sense of depth in the painting. 
Now framed and ready to hang, both these paintings can be found at the Front Street Gallery in Scituate, MA.


































"Garden View"

                                       

                 






















                                                            "By the Sea"





This is Dianne Panarelli Miller's oil painting "Last Glistening" at Bryan Memorial Gallery, Jeffersonville, Vermont, through Labor Day. Open daily 11-5pm. Dianne has up to 30 works in this wonderful show.  It's about Dianne, her love of painting and teaching, and most of all it's a showcase for her talent. She invited a few of her former students to participate and I am flattered to be one of them. I took oil classes with Dianne a few years ago and she is not only a fabulous painter but a fabulous teacher.  Her voice still resonates in my head whenever I decide to break out my oils for a change of pace.                                                      
                                                                                                                     

                                                                  "Last Glistening"

If you're in, near, or just want a day out try and see this terrific show.  I was so pleased to be invited by Dianne, as one of her former students, to submit an oil painting for this exhibit.
My piece is "North River View"


                                                                "North River View"

No comments: